Sunday, April 8, 2012

WWJD? What Would Jesus Do? What Would Jews Do?

Rabbi Dr. Jana L. De Benedetti
I believed that Mudhouse Sabbath was supposed to be helping with a discussion about how Jewish traditions and practices can enhance the spiritual experiences of Christians. I was sorry to see times when it turned into a competition of “which way she liked it better.” I felt like it put everyone on the defensive – I certainly wanted to defend the Jewish traditions when she said that Christian versions were better, and I also wanted to correct her understanding of Christian ways whenever she felt that Jewish practice couldn’t enhance Christian practice, because Christian was better.
She picked meaningful aspects of tradition to examine. I have to admit, I did like seeing her gushing about how wonderful Jewish practices are and how her history with them enhanced her understanding and observance of Christianity. I hate to admit that there were times when she seemed to love the Jewish ways so much, that I couldn’t understand why she wasn’t still Jewish.
I like to think that since Jesus was an observant Jew, when Christians learn from Jewish observance, they are in many ways getting closer to Jesus. I often joke with my Christian students – “Do you want to know what Jesus would do? Just watch me – I do it.” (Actually my joke is more like “WWJD = We want Jana De Benedetti,” but sometimes my jokes aren’t very funny.)
Seriously, I had always believed that since we (Christians and Jews) share the same basic value system, and since we learn in Scriptures that we received those values on Mount Sinai, I always thought that the Christians were standing there with us with Moses. I would look at my Christian friends when I was teaching the Chanukah story (which occurred about 150 years before Jesus was born –and according to the Book of John, he celebrated in Jerusalem) – I would say, “I know who my ancestors were at the time of the first Chanukah – they were fighting for their religious freedom. Who do you think your ancestors were? Weren’t you part of our group back then? Do you think you were part of the group that was trying to take away religious freedom?” I never thought so. I thought that you were part of “us” back then.
Anyone who has ever studied with me knows that I try to be very careful not to ever imply that “my way is better” or that anyone’s way is better, for that matter. I respect your right to choose how to worship and serve God. I love my way. When I teach, I hope that by showing people the joy in what I see, it enhances your experience. I don’t ever intend to change your experience – I do hope that you can find new ways to express your experience. That is what I hope people would get from reading the Mudhouse Sabbat book, and our musings about it. Take what you had, and find new ways to add to what you already love about what you believe.
How appropriate that this year we end our discussion on a weekend that marks celebrations of spring and hope, and the holy days of Passover and Easter. May we always find the courage to learn to glean wonderful things from what others have experienced and learned. May we all find new ways to find hope and spiritual fulfillment during these holy days, and throughout the year. Shalom and Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment