Saturday, April 7, 2012

You are God's

Rev. Tom Dolph
When was the last time you had to order checks? Usually this is a relatively simple task for me, I just click the box that says, “send me whatever I ordered last time.” However, sometimes it requires thought, particularly thought about “doorposts.” (See chapter 11 in Lauren Winner’s Mudhouse Sabbath)

When I arrived at my current appointment I thought it best to open a checking account at a local bank since the “national” bank I usually patronized didn’t have a branch in the community. No problem, except, there’s no little box to click saying “just send me more of the same” because there is no “more of the same” to repeat. Name; address; phone: no problem, I can easily answer all those questions. Then came this little box, challenging my entire identity – Prefix! The choices were simple enough, Mr. Mrs. Ms. Dr. Rev. The first four provided no challenge, I have long been relatively sure of my gender and I could not yet legally claim the fourth, but ahhh the fifth, now there was something to ponder. Obviously, I could have put Rev., after all, I am one, but did I WANT to put it? Now there’s a question I’d just as soon not have to admit that I ever asked.

If I am one, why not simply click it and move on. Well, in full confession mode, here’s what ran through my mind: If “Rev” is on my check I could never be grouchy or rude in a checkout line when paying by check. If “Rev” is on my check, would I ever get caught having to be pastoral when all I really wanted to do was run home and eat my chicken? If “Rev” is on my check would I ever have to pretend that I’ve just met my best friend because all Christians, especially “super Christians” like pastors, obviously all believe the same thing and vote for the same candidates? Putting Rev. on my check meant I would have to be one all the time. Don’t get me wrong, I AM a pastor all the time and these thoughts were as fleeting as they were real. I do offer myself to God and God’s business 24/7, as I am sure you do as well. At the same time, having the choice to not publically admit that can be attractive sometimes. Don’t we sometimes like it that we can go incognito if we want to? Isn’t it nice not having to be “on” all the time? I’ll have to admit, it is pretty tempting sometimes to go undercover. So, like Winner reminds us, it may be wise follow God’s prompting and write wherever we live: “I belong to God!” “I am never not God’s.” “I am never not about what God called/calls me to.” Sometimes the world needs to see that about me, without me ever having to speak a word. Sometimes I need to remind myself of that, especially when I am worn and weary and really craving some chicken. So – signing off I am REV Tom Dolph, I belong to God…

No comments:

Post a Comment