Thursday, March 31, 2011

Centering your target

Rev. Jack O'Dell

A visitor to the old farm was impressed by the farmer’s marksmanship. On the side of the barn, there were several targets drawn. The center of the target was filled with bullet holes. Regardless of whether target was high or low, the aim seemingly was exact.

“How did you become such a marksman? Is it the gun? Is it your practice? What is it?” asked the visitor.

The old farmer shook his head and then said, “nah, I just draw the targets after I shoot so that it looks like I’ve hit them!’

My days are filled more than I want to admit. I make sure they are filled so that everyone will get the idea that I am one busy preacher. At the recent clergy retreat, I think Gil Rendle was right when he said that a part of that has to do with the inability to produce a finished product. We then measure our value or worth by how much or how busy we can appear in life.

So we fill our calendars and we go from place to place---doing the work of the kingdom. Or is it?

The reality is that my inability to aim for the kingdom of God usually means that I miss the mark more regularly. Then like the farmer, I spend some time at the end of the day drawing kingdom circles around the shots that I have made. Then I am impressed with myself and maybe someone else will be too!

It is way too hard to reorder the day around the target first. It takes too much practice and discouragement sets in with the daily failures. But maybe that is what the Jesus creed is all about—recognizing our need to BE in the kingdom and to BE with Jesus. When this happens, we become like Jesus.

Today, spend some time BEING---centering. Then go do what God would have you do. And do not get too busy, God might want more of you than you have ever imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment