Saturday, March 12, 2011

thinking feelers, feeling thinkers: authentic and imperfect encounters with God

Rev. Valerie Robideaux

“Everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, for God is love.” 1 John 4:7b-8

We like to figure people out. We are comfortable with placing a person into a personality box, sealing it shut and labeling it for a quick and easy reference. “Oh, you know she is an introvert, so she probably would not like to come to dinner with us.” Personality tests galore illumine our instincts, motivations, and innate preferences. They are insightful tools for self-awareness, conflict resolution, and relationship compatibilities. However, they can also be used as a sword, a weapon to jab the person who tries to venture outside their box eliminating any real possibility for growth or transformation. Does our typecasting get in the way of someone’s ability to encounter God?

This passage from 1 John incorporates both knowing and loving. We like to pinpoint if we are thinkers or feelers, head people or heart people. 1 John reminds us that these are intrinsically linked in our encounter of God.

We do not feel worthy to encounter God. We are too broken. We are not full people, for we have been placed into a particular personality box and are not allowed to venture out. “I must find balance before I can know God.” “I must work on my weaknesses before I can fully encounter God.” “I must seek solitude before I can know God.” “I must get my life together before I can know God.” “I must deal with my emotional baggage before I can know God.” “I must read the entire Bible before I can know God.” Perfectionism can be paralyzing. When we are not able to do something perfectly, we often times simply do nothing.

God does not call us to perfection before we encounter God. God calls us to perfection when we have encountered God. We must venture outside our neatly labeled boxes to get to know God. Grace invites us to drag our boxes to God’s feet, to stand before God in our brokenness, justifications, excuses, and quirks. Thinker or feeler, head person or heart person, introvert or extravert, our human efforts to perfect ourselves are fruitless pursuits. Only in our authentic and humbling encounters with God will we know love. And, only in our authentic and humbling encounters with God will we experience the grace that calls and sustains us to draw nearer and nearer to perfection in that love.

What are the labels on your personality box? Do these labels inhibit or empower you?

What labels have you placed on someone else’s personality box? Do these labels inhibit or empower that person?

How has perfectionism paralyzed you from encountering God?

What would it mean for you to authentically and humbly encounter God?

No comments:

Post a Comment