Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Who is waiting at the station?

Rev. Wayne Evans

I have trouble believing God loves me like that: waiting hour after hour, day after day for me to come to my senses, and return “home.” Too often I have preferred the “far country” of being critical of others. I have looked for who is at fault rather than to come home to the party that our Heavenly Father is offering.
I have all kinds of reasons for failing to show love to others. I rationalize that I am being helpful by pointing out someone else’s faults. I tell myself they would do better if only someone could show them the error of their ways.
But the result is others don’t see love when we criticize them. In Luke 15 both the elder brother and the prodigal son missed out on the bounty of their waiting father until they were willing to accept his grace. If only I would swallow my pride, and believe I am accepted by this forgiving, gracious Father.
God is waiting at the train station. Maybe today, I’ll get off the train and fall into his loving embrace by hugging my sisters and brothers who almost as imperfect as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment