Saturday, April 16, 2011

Love is Enough

Rev. Wayne Evans

I was visiting my Aunt Ernie in the nursing home. Dementia brought on by Alzheimer’s Disease caused her to no longer know who I was. I sat there in her room and told her of my fond memories so many things she did for me when I stayed her while my parents attended sessions of the Annual Conference in Shreveport. She cooked wonderful meals, and treated my siblings and me as if we were her own for that week. They had a huge home that I marveled at as we explored it to find all the treasures there. Their entire home was air conditioned! They must have been rich! She loved children, and after hers were grown she spent over twenty-five years in the nursery at FUMC of West Monroe every Sunday caring for the little ones of the congregation. She would sing to them and tell them how much Jesus loved them.

In her final months my aunt could only say “Uh-huh” as I asked questions
which called for an affirmative response. She had otherwise lost the ability to engage in conversation with me. Before I left I began to sing “Jesus Loves Me.” She began to sing along with me. Even though she did not recognize who I was, she had a profound relationship with her Savior who loved little children. He had claimed her as one of his own. She could no longer serve him or do for others, but she knew his love was there for her. Her arms could no longer hold little children, but she was confident that this One was now holding her in His. Love is all that remains.

No comments:

Post a Comment