Sunday, April 10, 2011

Only 40 days...Say it isn't so!

Rev. Andy Goff

The season of Lent is here and if you are like me, then you will realize that 40 days aren't enough. Let's be honest, some of us need more than 40 days! Lent as we know is a time for us to do some real soul searching as we find ourselves in the light of the cross. Have we been living up to what God expects of us? Where have we fallen short and how can we make amends for the wrongs we have done?

Lent for me is that time to look closely at myself as I strive to do just what is stated in Deuteronomy: " Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might" (Deut. 6:4-5). Am I able to truly love God with all that I am even when I fall down? Scot McKnight reminds us in his book that loving God is "our primary relationship." (Jesus Creed pg. 3). These days of Lent gives me the opportunity to truly love God and to love my sisters and brothers as God would expect me to do. Even when I don't feel like it.

So, instead of going clockwise with a culture that says that we should give up something for these 40 days, I would rather focus on remembering that love of God is paramount to everything I do and everything I am. I may not always make it but at least I can try. Only 40 days? Shouldn't this time be much longer? I suspect that 40 days is a start.

David L. Wade in his book, Lord Forgive Me, Prayers of Confession, sums up these days of Lent and what this season is truly about:

Lent--
A season of sacrifice, a season of penitence
What shall I give up?
Something I don't like? Or can't do without?
Something that's not good for me?
Something traditional?
Who should I tell? Or should my Lenten journey be
private? personal?
"Not like the hypocrites"?
More prayer,
More Scripture reading
More acts of generosity
More expressions of love?
Lord, forgive me for not knowing how to observe
Lent; And help me to use this season
To come closer to you.
Not just for six weeks,

No comments:

Post a Comment